Thursday, March 4, 2010

RIGHT NOW

I have to write this down, so we always know.

Today, we were walking at the over look, and you were trying to whistle at the maga sapa. You told me you couldn't do it, and I didn't have the first clue of a good way of telling you HOW to do it. (It was another life lesson for me, I've never been in a place where I couldn't explain something in a way that would enable someone to do it. Feeling helpless where you are concerned, is very hard for ME.)
You were bothered that you couldn't do it. We walked on and I told you that while you couldn't do it right now, the time would come when you would eventually be able to do it. This was of small comfort I think.
 So I said to you:
"Turtle, while you can't whistle, RIGHT NOW, there are LOTS of other things you CAN do, that most two year olds can't."

You can run at full speed,
 Jump,
kick a ball,
kick a stone,
kick anything.
You can balance on one leg
 You can spin
You can twirl
You can climb pretty much anything.
You can pour liquid from one bottle (i.e the asampi pte carton) into something else (i.e a glass, or any of your teeny tiny turtle teacups)
You can open and close doors
You know your ABC's and can count to ten completely and twenty if you concentrate
You know at least 80 songs, fully, all the words and the tunes.
You know your primary colors
You can put on your own shoes. (You have been doing this since before you were even ONE.)
You can zip zippers
You can get yourself dressed
You have the vocabulary of a 4 year old (at least)
You know and can use correctly big words, and big concepts.
You brush your own teeth
you eat totally independantly, in fact, we've never actually FED you.. you've always just done it. You went right from Asanpi to real food, alwasy feeding yourself.
You can use grown up silverware
You can identify the word stop and danger, zoo and baa
You "read" to yourself, and your maskes, and sunka.
You hold your pens, pencils, crayons all "correctly". I put it in quotes, because some wasicu person said somewhere at some time, that it was the "proper" way to do so, and everyone followed suit.

There are so many other things you can do that I'm not getting on here.. but will when they come up.
And the greatest is that none of this was "taught" to you, you just learned it by living. You are so perceptive, and such a poster child for attachment parenting, sling use, extended breastfeeding, etc.
You know you are sacred, because you are treated that way.

I love you, I see so much of myself in you. I'm honored that you saw me and wanted me to be your Ina. I think I learn more from you than anything.
 I see that you have my temper, my need for wide open spaces, my fierce independence,my dogged determination to get something and the frustration that comes when you don't get it right, right away.

I'm so honored to see the deep connection that runs beyond the heart connection. Having not had a blood mother to grow up with, I was never able to see the genetic connection between myself and the woman who called herself my mother
You are one more spindle in the web, of our blood family.
You are a part of me, a part of us, and yet, you are so wonderfully your own person.
I love that you are so intact and whole. I will do everything I can  to keep it that way.

I love you!!
And know that jsut because you don't get something right away doesn't mean it won't ever come. Sometimes, things are just timed beyond our control and finesse.. and when the time is right, it will happen.

And maybe I'm wrong, maybe other two year olds do these things.. but either way I don't care, because you are MINE, and I love you for YOU and who you are RIGHT NOW.

No comments: