Tuesday, August 11, 2009

mumbling Ina rant... working things out.

Ok, the following is a rant, as a result of something that happened yesterday.... I haven't figured it all out yet, but here is what I have so far.

While Turtle napped yesterday, I sat down and started watching this documentary called nursery university. Unbelievable. I didn't get to see the whole thing, so I netflixed it.. you should too.
What I saw on there made my stomach upset. I went and looked up the requirements for children entering preschool. Preschool. In order for children to be admitted to preschool,(ages 2-5) they must have be able to do the following.

Be independent of their parent for 2-3 hours.

Recite their home address

Be potty trained.

Recite their parent's first and last names.

Engage and converse freely and clearly in conversation


and various other tasks, that I cannnot remember.

It really bothered me.

But why exactly?


I personally don't feel that a two year old should be able to recite her address or even know her parent's "real" names. If you asked turtle, she'd tell her our names are At'e and Ina.

It really upset me. But I didn't exactly know why. I know children are capable of learning anything and everything.

When mihigna got home, I discussed it with him, and asked him to tell me why it was bothering me so much.

He said that first of all, it's the way it's presented, like you cannot enter preschool unless you know these things.... so that makes me picture little children being force fed this information.. and that bothers me because I see them having to conform, rather than just be who they naturally are, or would become.
(I DON'T do well with people telling me what HAS to be done, with no explanation. Having gotten away from my abusive past, I've bucked authority so hard it's not even funny.) So, ok, I can see that.

Second, it's the cookie cutter, box-fitting formula that I hate. HATE. Someone somewhere says, "You(child) will do X in X manner in order to fit into this little category that will further your ability to learn information and spew it back out on command. Then we'll pat you on the head and make you think you are a "good" person." It feels stifling to me and I hated it being done to me, and I don't want that for my daughter. I don't do cookie cutter well; granted, it made me, makes me, the outsider many, many times. But, I would rather be the "outsider" than be living some false life following some one else's idea of what my life should look like, and be.


And lastly, it makes it feel like with these requirements, the children don't get to be children in their own right, own time. I want my child to be who she is at any given moment and have the freedom to discover and learn at her own pace.

So the question I'm left with is, does this bother me because my Ina alarm is going off, or does it bother me because I was a Montessori teacher and I know the "box" isn't the only way to teach?

Or is it just bothering me because it's setting off my own alarms from my past and I need to back off, and realize turtle is an intact soul and is stronger and more secure than I was? ("A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.")

See, I told you this was a rant and it's not worked out yet, so you can let me think about it more, or chime in. It's still messy for me, but I need to figure it out, because I don't like the stomach in knots but don't know why feeling.

1 comment:

Adventures In Babywearing said...

I know that feeling- and not being able to pinpoint it exactly. For me, it would be the box thing- and forcing the info on them. I feel bad for how the small 2 yr old might be bribed or punished for such silly things...

Steph