Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It still gives me goosebumps and brings tears to my eyes

When it was first released, I heard DMC's song, "Just like me" and then saw the video. It gave me goosebumps and brought tears to my eyes. I then saw the video. Unbelievable. It was the first time I'd heard a song about adoption. I was even more stoked that Sarah Mclachlan was on it.
When I saw the video, it was so powerful because she's in the background all ethereal like. And the symbolism is soo incredible!
The adoption process is so different now, but he hit it right on the head, it was so cold and raw and many times, heartless. It makes it easier to understand why so many children who were taken, were left with soul wounds.

I could so identify with him, but only up to a certain point. My life wasn't as fairy tale-ish and beautiful. It turned out beautifully, because I made it so.
And it is fabulous now, because I'm home where I belong. But I wished I'd have heard this waaay back when I was going through it all. It'd have helped.

I'm posting the video on here. It will give you goosebumps and move you. (Especially if you have had this experience.)
Shortly after it came out, he made a documentary about his journey to find his mom, and of course, I watched it. Sarah Mclaclan was on it, and she said that she also had been adopted. No wonder I thought she was awesome.
I found it ironic, because I remember when DMC was big, I was young, but I really liked his stuff, and so rap, has always, for me, been held up against his standard.
I had tried to get in touch with him, but it never worked. I just hope he realized how much he will and has helped others who experienced this very thing.

No comments: