Thursday, July 9, 2009

Land Consultation

Beautiful morning, following a pretty serious electrical storm, no rain, but much rolling and flashing.

This morning, I have an NCRS (Niobrara Council River something) lady coming over to do a walk through of our property so that we know where we stand, what our options are and where we need to go. I'm going to listen to what she has to say, but leave some room for other ideas.

When we spoke on the phone, she was saying that our land was a sacrificial land and so all we have is a lot of weeds. Our overabundance of weeds is true, but their idea of what a "weed" is, vs what we Lakota consider a weed, is very different. In fact, I don't think we even have a word for "weed" because it can always be used for something.

In our north pasture, there are many medicines growing, so I'm going to be interested to see what she has to say about that. there is some trepidation about letting her here, because she better not tell me I have to get rid of some of our medicines because they are "invasive". I saw their list of Invasive plants, and let me tell you, the majorityof them were our medicines. Ultimately what we want is to return it to natural mixed grass prairie. She said that wasn't possible, but I don't believe that.

So, I will hear her out, and then take it to the tribe. NCRS will also not help us restore this place financially, because to them, we are only a "ranchette"; and unless you are running a assload of cattle or making a profit off a herd of horses, then, no money for you!!! So, we shall do this, the same way we have done EVERYTHING else in our lives, together as a family, but alone.

I need to go rouse the turtle, so I can get her dressed and talk to her about getting outside a bit earlier than her usual time.


I'll be back and update you on what she says.
Have a great day!!!

No comments: