Tuesday, November 25, 2008

electric diet and turkey day

I've always been big into self sufficiency, and all things natural. I have a product line that consists of home made soap, bath salts, etc. I've made my own laundry detergent, cleaners, bug spray and such, for years. I find it amusing that everyone is now "into" it.
I am however realizing how attached I am to electricity, and how I need to pare down my love affair with it. I've always been the light turner offer and appliance unpluger. But even with that said, I spend a lot of time on the Internet, and with music playing. SO, I'm going on an electrical diet. I'm going to pare down my computer time, and my music time. I am however going to go purchase a solar powered, hand crank radio, because then I will have music but also not have to suck up electricity for it. And all of this is also for a higher purpose. Well, besides being jsut enviromentally responsible.

As many of you know, we have been searching for our little niche in the world. We looked at a few houses, and land and nixed both because of cost. We have decided. This was part of the big news, and I'm still going to hold out on some details for now. But, we will be purchasing land in SD and building a house on it. Right now, we are looking to build a Straw bale house, we have always wanted and planned to do that. We are also going to attempt to be off grid, with wind and solar power. But, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. We still have to take it step by step. I will update as I know more. But this is why i need to go on an electricity diet. I will need to pare down my electricity use when we are off grid. You can supply your own electrcity but it will also show you how m uch you use just with your refriderator or coffeee pot. (To see this, go online and see an episode of It aint easy being green on the sundance channel.)
So, all exciting things. More when there is more to update.

For turkey day, we are going to mihignas parent's house, that will be fun. They are enjoyable people and cunksi just loves them, plus she gets to hang out with her cousin!

1 comment:

Lilla said...

Hi, we are planning to do the same thing regarding housing and living off grid. We already have the land and have drilled a well, but there's lots to be decided about housing. I love strawbale but it can actually be more expensive and time consuming than conventional housing, so we'll have to research more. Thanks for visiting my blog the other day and commenting on the natural cleaning products and soaps. I would love to hear more about your soaps and some recipe suggestions, if you care to share.