Thursday, October 9, 2008

EDUCATION! EDUCATION! EDUCATION!!!!! Plus girls night and other such things

Knowledge Is Power people!!!!!
Ok, first, I had "girls night" tonight with my friend DB, and we watched "Baby Momma" which after that, got us talking about such things.. as she is trying to have a child. I wondered if it was hard for her to watch since the movie was advertised one way, but was really another way.. they always do that and it's irkes me. I thought it was going to be a lot FUNNIER than it was, because hello, Tina Fey was in it! Anyway.. maybe I didn't find it as hilarious because I was aware of the undercurrent of the storyline. One woman's LONGING to have a child. I've been there, done that.. It SUCKS ROYAL SHIT. Now, as my friend sat next to me, I had to ask her if she was ok watching this. (She was.) Anyway... so we were talking about when she had her baby......and I always use the word when never, IF. (I HATED that word if when i was dealing with infertility stuff.) Anway, we were talking about delieveries and the DRs here... and she was telling me about how she was going t have a Csection.... which of course tripped my trigger, and I started talkign about c-sections and the real reason DR's do them, which brought up the movie, "the business of being born" which, every being with mammory glands (and dicks too) SHOULD WATCH, whether you have children, are planning to have children or KNOW someone who is having a child. MOST important info. And, info that those of us practicing AP, have already known... I feel comfortable saying "have already" because if you are an AP, I"m pretty certain you did everything in your power to make sure that your child was born stress free and intervention free as possible.
I really have to check myself in these conversations with other mothers, or soon to be mothers, because I live in what can be a bass ackwards town...and while the people here are great and kind, they parent MUCH differently than I do. My stroller strolling friend who I see everyday doesn't believe in present parenting... or co sleeping, I gave her a sling that she won't use.. (too bad too, it's a nice sling.) And she was relating to me her stories about her "sleep training" her daughter... oh, when she tells me these things... I cringe... it's soo hard for me, and seems so cruel. But again, I KNOW what happens to a child when they are left to cry, physically, psychologically, and emotionally. So she was telling me more about it today and asking me what she should do and I said: "I am not the one to ask because I Co-sleep." This after she had gotten done telling me about how she didn't want to "spoil" her daughter by letting her sleep with her. I directed her to the Parenting Baby to sleep website as well as Jan Hunts.... so hopefully she will go.
I've gotten up now to tend to turtle, and have lost my train of thought...

I guess I want to say that it is hard to parent when the "majority" parents do differently than you. The only like minded parents are those who I have/know in cyber world. But at least I don't feel alone.. that helps.
I will post turtle's birth story on here.. I always want to, but it is long, and I don't usually have that much time. But I will get around to it, eventually.
We are heading up to the hills this weekend... yey!! I"m psyched, I LOVE going to the hills; yet another perk to living back home. And it is really fab having turtle to share it with. It will be great too, because it is finallystarting to act/feel/look like fall. I LOVE fall!!
OK. for now, that is all... if I remember where I was going.. I'll come back and tell you.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I know what you mean. Friends who thing the same...sigh...so far away. Oh well...educate educate educate.
You might just be giving me the right kick to put Ara's birth story up...I think I need to before the next one arrives...therapy